July 15, 2010

Friendship in Books

I finally finished my first book toward my deployment goal of reading at least 6 books while Pat is gone. I read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I never read it before and had only seen bits and pieces of the movie when I was little. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. At first I had a hard time keeping the girls apart, but it only took a chapter or two for me to understand who the girls were.

There were so many touching scenes and ideas within the book. One of my favorite quotes from the book was "...for love casts out fear, and gratitude can conquer pride." I think the book definitely lifted my spirit by reading about a simpler time and a family so filled with faith.

The only bad thing I find about reading a good book is coming to the end. I feel like the end of a good book is like the end of a friendship--one where the friends just drift apart. I really enjoyed turning to my book and reading about Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. Now I have to find new "friends" to spend my evenings with. After I finish a book, I will often think about the characters for weeks wishing there were more to read about them. I guess now would be a good time to start another book, although I think this next one may be a nonfiction book.

I'll update more after my next book is complete.

2 comments:

Dawnll said...

One of my favorite books and I love to watch both versions of the movies. You should rent one of the movies and watch and maybe that would help to keep that feeling of a loss of friendship.

Rachel said...

I love that book, most people don't realize that it's actually a series. There are two other books, I can't remember the second one right off the bat, but the final book in the series is called Jo's Boys. I'm also reading a ton while my husband is deployed, it's nice to get lost in the stories and keep your mind lost in that story instead of worrying about them, isn't it. I'm really enjoying your blog!

Rachel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...