June 9, 2011

Beaches

I'm a beach girl, but I'm not your typical bikini, sun tan lotion, and sun bathing beach girl.  I enjoy the beach in the evening after the crowds have gone home, in the mornings before it gets crowded, or even the fall and winter when no one else is there.  I'm not all that fond of the sand, but I love watching the waves, smelling the air, and taking in the beauty of nature.

I grew up in a beach town.  Because the beach was always close by, it is hard for me to accept the idea that some people have never spent any time at the beach.  It seemed so normal to me that for a long time I didn't realize how lucky I was to have it close by.  I probably didn't enjoy it as much as I should have while I lived there, and I know I took it for granted.  

On our drive home from Disney, we decided to spend a night at Daytona Beach so the kids could see the beach.  Daytona is not quite the most family oriented area.  However, when looking at places we could stop it seemed to be a choice of where we'd fit in better:  an upscale beach community or a spring break location.  With two little boys running wild, we went for the more casual choice.  While Daytona wasn't glamorous, it ended up being perfect to give the boys a quick beach experience.

Our hotel was right on the beach.  We arrived mid-afternoon and headed straight down with the boys.  They absolutely LOVED the beach.  Both of them got right in the water.  Ryan had no fear of being taken under or going out too far, which was scary and very nerve wracking as a mother.  Sean enjoyed sitting at the edge of the water and letting the tiny waves splash him.   I will say Daytona Beach was really great as far as shallow water and gentle waves.  Keeping our hands and eyes on both boys occupied us entirely, so I have no pictures of them enjoying the water, but trust me when I say they enjoyed it!

Cell phone pic from our balcony.
 The beach.
 The only down fall was how much sand the boys would bring back to the room after every trip down to the beach.

On our way to go get dinner, Ryan put his sand bucket on his head and started calling himself "marching man".  The things this kid comes up with are just too cute!
After dinner went back out to spend some time at the beach now that the crowds were gone.  It was peaceful and fun.

That evening we played in the sand.  And in case you thought I was exaggerating about the amount of sand the kids had on them, check out Sean's hair in the first picture below.  


As a special end to the night, there was apparently an air show going on somewhere nearby and the planes flew right over our heads several times.  Unfortunately I didn't have my zoom lens with me, if I did the photos would have been spectacular.

Since we gave the boys two baths in about a 6 hour period the first day there, we decided not to go the beach the next morning before packing up.  We ended up in the car early for a long drive to our next stop.  While we were driving we saw signs for St. Augustine, and Pat really wanted to stop.  So we took a short detour.  It was so beautiful there, and I am very glad that we stopped.  The kids appreciated being able to stretch their legs too.  (But again, I didn't have my zoom lens on the camera.  Shame on me!)






And a last photo for my artilleryman.

post signature

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the beach for the same reasons you do! After living on the West Coast for my growing up years, I still miss being near the ocean.

I'm glad your boys enjoyed the ocean!

Anne Garry said...

I love the beach shelly! the sound of the waves,sitting by the shore,I wish i could own a home overlooking the beach.but anyway,thanks for leaving a comment about the girls' dress.

Julie Danielle said...

I miss the beach like crazy. Growing up near it I didn't realize how special it really is. Hoping we can visit for a day or two sometime after my husband gets home.

The Fischer Family said...

It looks like you had such a wonderful vacation! I am super jealous of your time at the beach! I love the beach, although, like you, I'm not a huge fan of sand! But I love the sights, the smells, the sounds...ahhhh!!!

Jessica said...

what a fun time! we love going to the beach!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...