June 16, 2010

My Story

To take a break from my deployment downer posts, I thought I'd share with you the story of how/why I became a Stampin' Up! demonstrator. For a very long time I had been looking for a way to express my creativity. I wanted to be able to make something that looked good and wanted a hobby to provide me a break. At the same time I had researched a bunch of direct sales companies, but really nothing seemed like a good idea for me. From previous experiences I was a bit skeptical about direct selling and usually feel like it is a way for demonstrators to profit off friends. So I continued to look for a way to create things. For Christmas I told Pat I wanted "something so that I could make stuff." That was all I told him and the two of us had no idea what that meant I wanted. Then after a while a friend introduced me to one of those electric die cutting machines. I thought it was really cool and could make amazing things. Around this time I discovered all the card making blogs on the internet and was very intrigued. From the very beginning of using my machine, one problem plagued my thoughts. I just felt like it was almost cheating because the machine was doing all the work and I was just pressing buttons. I felt like it required no skill or talent, and I was debating how crafty I really was. I was still following blogs creating cards and would move from one to the next without ever knowing the people I was reading about. From one blog to another I ended up on a blog where the woman talked about mailing blank cards to her deployed brother in law for him to be able to send the cards home to his children. I commented to her that it was such a great idea and how nice that was. Well, she e-mailed me back. This is how I started talking to Gina, the woman I signed up to be a demo under (my upline). Gina was so nice and friendly. I saw on her blog that she was a Stampin' Up! demonstrator. I decided to look around her site because I was still in search of my creative niche, but at this point I hadn't even thought of becoming a demonstrator. I placed an order, and Gina and I kept talking. I loved my stuff so much that I placed another order. Then in one of her e-mails Gina mentioned that if I ever thought about becoming a demonstrator, it was one of the best times to sign up--during Sale-a-Bration. Gina didn't pressure me at all. I was really happy with this idea because I had been looking for something for so long. I talked it over with Pat during dinner. I was worried because I wasn't sure I would have enough customers and would just end up spending my own money. Pat being the great, encouraging husband that he is urged me to sign up. He said that even if I made no money but enjoyed what I was doing, then it was worth it. He was right! I love creating the cards. It doesn't so much take talent, but it is a hands on craft experience that I was looking for. Because stamping isn't hard, I am able to create cards that look 10 times better than anything I thought I'd be able to make. I love the sense of accomplishment I get from making my cards, and it give me something I can spend time on as a break from everything else, which I totally needed. So not only am I satisfied with an outlet for my crafting and creativity, but I've found a wonderful community of demonstrators and many new friends, even if they do live far away. I am very glad in my decision and am so happy that it was Stampin' Up! that fell into my lap. They are an amazing company and I am proud to be associated with them. They really care about their customers and demonstrators. I do not feel like I am trying to profit off my friends by selling Stampin' Up!, but rather I feel like I am sharing something I love and hope that through stamping they will find the creative outlet they may be looking for too.

Just as a side note now to explain to my blog readers: this is my personal blog. I write about deployments, kids, marriage, family life, my crafts, my complaints, my joys, everything. I know that many of you probably don't share my love for stamping and card making. But I feel like if there is something that I love, think you may love, or a great product/deal, I want to share that with you.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...