August 10, 2010

First Day of Preschool

Today I dropped Ryan off for his first day of preschool. I had promised myself that I wouldn't be sad about it. After all, Ryan is still really young. It isn't like he has to go to school. I am choosing to send him to school. But I also want to make it clear, I am not one of those parents that sends the child to school just to have a break. If Pat were not deployed, I'm not sure I would be sending Ryan to school this young. However, I learned during the last deployment that it is so important for Ryan to interact with people other than me. Since we don't have many friends and our family is very far away, preschool was a good choice to allow him interaction and play with kids his own age.
Last night as I lay in bed, there was a bit of dread in me about leaving my little boy at school. Ryan has gone to the hourly daycare on post a few times when I've had appointments or meetings, but that is it. He's never even had a babysitter. I've left him with my family to run errands when they are out visiting, but that is about it. I hate the idea of having him away from me for 3 hours twice a week all school year. I know it is what is best for him, but it just doesn't feel right to have him not with me.
So I took pictures before we left, (I haven't uploaded them yet though.) and dropped him off. He seemed fine. I was a little sad, but kept it in check. I know this is a good thing for him. I just really hope they speak to us to let us know how our kids did when I pick him up. Sean went down for his nap when we got home, so I actually got a chance to do a yoga dvd. It would have been nice if I hadn't pulled a muscle in my neck somehow while dropping Ryan off. If Sean wakes up in time I want to run to target to get a new toy for my big boy for when he gets home from school.
I cannot believe how fast time is flying by. While I want to keep my boys little forever, I'm enjoying every moment as they grow.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

oh the 1st day of school is so full of mixed emotions.

I will be sending my 3 yr old this year to pre-school. Something that I would not do if it were not for deployment...but your so right they need the interaction.

I hope your little boy had a great 1st day!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you both! I hope his day went well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...