November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving and Black Friday


Thanksgiving was a wonderful day at my house. It was Pat's first Thanksgiving being at home as a Daddy. He missed Ryan's first Thanksgiving while he was in Afghanistan, but this year he got to celebrate with both boys. The food turned out delicious. We had turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, carrots, green beans, sweet potato casserole, and apple cobbler. I was really happy with how all the cooking came out. We had Pat's friend Drew over because he wasn't able to be with his own family that day. It was a very nice day, and it gave me an excuse to use my china. I've probably only used our china once or twice before, so I'm glad that I had another occasion to use it.
Today is what people refer to as back Friday in terms of shopping. It's supposed to be a great day to find a deal. I found it to be a big disappointment and rather annoying. Pat went out to Toys R Us for the midnight opening. However, he found three different parking lots full from the already waiting shoppers. Police were arresting individuals for being too rowdy, and they were not opening the doors until the crowd was under control. Needless to say, Pat didn't wait and came home. He went back out at 7 am to see if there was anything left, which there wasn't. He was able to pick up one gift for Ryan that we wanted at Target though. A little later we decided to venture out to Walmart as a family to pick up a few Christmas gifts. The Walmart that is closest to our house was so disorganized that we were unable to find anything on sale even if they did have it in stock. I was completely disappointed that we couldn't find the few items we were looking for and felt rather irritated at Walmart's disorganization. In an effort to stop my complaining, Pat drove us to the other Walmart. It was so much better organized that we found our items right away. Pat even scored an extra Christmas gift--a 42" TV!!!! It wasn't a planned purchase, but it was a good deal and Pat deserves it.
In the late afternoon we went to the PX. We got another Christmas gift for Ryan. We also picked up a gift for me for Christmas. I know it seems weird that I already know what it is, but it seems that Pat and I are always out together so surprising me can be hard. I'll wait until Christmas to share what he got me though.
Overall, the end result of the day was a success, but black Friday wasn't everything it was hyped up to be. I could definitely do without the annoyance next year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...