June 3, 2009

Water and Sun

A while back I posted about how I know I should drink lots of water a day, but find myself unable to.  I had almost even convinced myself that water wasn't all that important.  In an attempt to make this water consumption easier, I found a perfect bottle to carry around filled with water.  I found that when drinking from a plastic refillable travel bottle with a spout, I'm able to drink a lot more water without noticing.  I highly recommend this tactic to those struggling to drink their water.  

Coincidentally, last night on TV I caught part of a show on food network that was exploring the effects of the amount of water we drink on our skin's health.  According to this show, to find out how much you should drink a day you take your body weight and divide by two.  That is equal to the amount of ounces of water you should drink per day.  They followed identical twins while one drank the recommended amount of water and one drank half of the recommendation.  A dermatologist examined them at the beginning and the end.  While they both started out with healthy and similar skin, the one that drank less water lost her glow and more scientifically, her skin tested to be somewhat dehydrated.  Dehydrated skin shows more wrinkles and fine lines.  So that is just another reason to keep drinking your water.  
(Just a side note though, there is research out there that says drinking when thirsty and eating well will provide enough fluid.  That said, I personally know that I need to up my water consumption and could benefit from more.)  

Speaking of skin health though, I also have been thinking about skin and sun.  I remember the days when I longed for a tan.  Now as part of a routine I use a daily moisturizer with SPF30.  I spray and rub Ryan down before we go out to play.  We got him a little SPF swim shirt.  (It matches his bathing suit perfectly too!)  I am a bit of a slacker when it comes to protecting the rest of my body from the sun though, unless I'll be out long.  I just think the idea of skin cancer is so scary.  Not to mention I'd love to avoid skin damage that makes me look older.  I wish I had realized what a great thing sunblock was before I hit my mid 20s.  If you have a favorite sunblock, I'd love to hear what it is.       

As my product recommendation, I really like Olay Complete SPF 30 Defense Daily UV Moisturizer (I use the one for sensitive skin).  It leaves my skin so soft and it isn't greasy at all.  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...