March 18, 2013

Salad in Jar

Remember how last month I went out and bought a case of mason jars?  I used them to organize my kitchen.  I still had some left over so I decided I had to try the salad in a jar that is all over Pinterest.

I'm sure you've seen it.  If you haven't tried it yet, the basic idea is that you put your tablespoons of dressing in the bottom of the jar.  Then you add your veggies.  It is best to add veggies that won't get soggy in the dressing like broccoli and carrots first.  You could put some tomatoes in the dressing to let them marinate if you want.  Cucumbers work better if you keep them away from the dressing.  After your veggies you can add meat and cheeses if you like.  Then you top with your lettuce.  You can make a few jars to have them ready to grab for some easy lunches.

It really does work pretty well.  I've found this a great way to get myself eating fresh.  I love making it at night so I can just pull it out of the fridge during our hectic days.  You could eat it out of the jar (just shake it first), but I prefer pouring it onto a plate because I stuff my jars so full.

My husband likes his salad without meat.  So he just gets some veggies and lettuce.  I'm kind of a throw everything in the salad type of girl.  This was the first salad I made, and where I learned about keeping the cucumbers on top of the other veggies.
Tomatoes in a balsamic dressing are really delicious.

I've done salads with some cold cuts.  I've also done a salad with some cut up apples and a little pulled pork which was very tasty.  I plan to make a chicken caesar salad soon.  Today I have a salad with avocado and grapefruit.  It's really fun to experiment.  I also find I'm eating healthier because I am prepared for lunches.  I highly recommend making a salad in a jar.  And if you have some favorite add-ins please share them with me.    

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great idea, will have to try this. I'm for anything that makes life easier and allows me more time to smell the roses. Have an awesome day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...