June 22, 2012

What the baby books don't tell you...

Jeannett over at Life Rearranged has been doing a series of What the Baby Books Don't Tell You and has opened the question up for everyone to link up an answer.
life rearranged

Being that I just had a new baby last week, motherhood is about all that's been on my mind lately.  I've thought for quite a while about how I'd answer this question.  There are so many things I could say, I just don't know which way to go.  As all moms know I could fill a page about the less than perfect aspects of raising children, and the baby books certainly don't prepare you for a lot of things.  However, I'd rather focus on the greatness that you only realize upon the birth of your child.

Here are some things the baby books don't tell you about becoming a mother:

  • No matter how many children you have, the day they are each born is miraculous.  If I could experience the birth of my children a million times over it wouldn't be enough.  Those were the best days of my life, even if they were not my ideal birth plans.  I am forever grateful for the experience.  
  • Your children will teach you more than you ever thought possible about the world, life, and yourself. 
  • Motherhood is a constant exercise in patience.  
  • Time seems to fly faster when you are raising a child, and you will be desperate to slow it down so you can hold on to every moment and memory.  
  • Letting your children grow up will be bittersweet.  You want them to stay in each phase forever, but as they do grow you realize that every new experience is just as magical as the one before it. 
  • Motherhood can be challenging, but realizing the importance of teaching, molding, nurturing, and loving your child will be more powerful than any other job you've experienced. 
And maybe the last thing the baby books don't tell you is that right after you have a baby when your hormones are raging and you have those little baby blues, you'll write mushy blog posts like this.  You will only see the rainbows and butterflies about having a baby, and you'll be so happy that you cry all the time.  ;-)

Go check out Jeannett's blog.  She has such a great voice.  She is truthful and funny at the same time.  Plus she does amazing things with her blog.  Right now she has a fundraiser for clean water projects in developing nations.  While we can all share the beauty or challenges of motherhood, I cannot imagine trying to raise my family in a place where I struggle to find clean water.  It is such an important cause, you can read more about it HERE.

And if you'd like, go link up your own post on what the baby books don't tell you!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...