July 4, 2008

What A Ride!

Pat and I haven't been able to talk lately, but the last few times we had communication we spent some time thinking about our future.  Since our communication has been limited, we vowed that we'd discuss what we want in the future the next time we spoke on the phone. Unfortunately that phone call keeps getting pushed back, and by the time it actually occurs who knows if we'll remember to talk about it.  I have been thinking a lot about what I want to happen in the future, and of course I have a million and two different ideas.  All this thought made me remember a quote that I once read in an e-mail that my mother forwarded out.  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, 'wow, what a ride!'"--author unknown but sometimes attributed to motorcycle racer Bill Mckenna

I really aspire to live my life this way.  I think all too often we let our lives drive us into our future when instead we should take the wheel and drive our lives.  One thing I want to talk about with Pat is seizing opportunities.  I've found, if you try and fail at something, you move on.  Sometimes it hurts to fail, but there is nothing you can do--it's over, you just bury that memory if it bothers you.  If you don't try, you may always wonder what if, and it is so hard to move on when you are questioning what could have been.  So my thoughts for the day:  Do what makes you happy.  Challenge yourself.  Make your dreams a reality.  Take the opportunity to try.  And live your life to the fullest so you too can proclaim, "wow, what a ride!"  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...