March 20, 2008

Inferior?

There is a quote that I can't seem to get out of my head. Eleanor Roosevelt is quoted, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." It's interesting how such a simple sentence can give me so much to think about.
I've sometimes found myself in situations where I am dealing with people who think they are better than me. Are these people really trying to make me feel inferior when they brag about their life, possessions, and accomplishments? Or am I just insecure about my own life, and giving them consent to make me feel inferior?
When I run into a person that thinks they are superior, I take a few minutes to examine my life before I start feeling like I am inferior. During the past few years I've found people that think they are better than others because of their jobs, how many kids they have, how they live their life, etc. Sometimes there is a lot of pressure to be like the crowd.
When I find myself dealing with people like this, there is a split second in which I wonder if they are better than me. It only takes a second though before I realize to each his own. People may think that I'm less than them, but you know what, I'm happy with my life and accomplishments. I planned having my child, and I will plan when I have another when the time is right for us. I do not work because I want to spend time with my family and raise my son. I like taking care of my dogs and house. These are all choices I've made because they are what I want and not what I have to do. I know that these are not the choices for everyone, and I think that we should all realize that just because we make different choices, we aren't any better or worse than the next person.
I know that being an army wife and mother may not be enough for some, but for me it is. I can't think of anything more fulfilling. I'm exactly who and what I want to be. I hope everyone can say that because if they can then there will never be any reason to feel inferior.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Well said! Is everything going ok? You guys need to move to Texas :) We can deal with the superior mindsets together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...