January 11, 2012

Bread

Pat and I decided not to do big gifts for each other for Christmas this year, but he still wanted some ideas from me.  I knew exactly what I wanted to ask for.  I've been wanting to get a bread machine for years now.  And since I'm not currently on a quest to get thin carbs can be a staple of my diet, right?

I couldn't wait to try my bread machine when we got back from our trip to see family.  The first weekend home we decided to have some homemade chili with buttered fresh bread.  It was delicious!!!

After making my first loaf, I guess you could say I'm a bit obsessed.  The next day I wanted to try another recipe.  The only one I had all the ingredients to try was Chocolate Bread.  Sounds a bit odd, huh?  I decided to give it a whirl though.  It ended up pretty good.  Sean is a big fan.  It is recommended as a breakfast bread and served with cream cheese.  If you like chocolate, why not add it to your breakfast?

Since I had a bit of the white bread left over I decided to try a recipe I'd been craving.

French Toast Casserole (Modified from FamilyFun Magazine)

Ingredients:
5 large slices homemade white bread
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon or to taste
4 eggs
3/4 + a bit extra milk
1tsp vanilla extract
maple syrup for serving

Cut bread into 1" cubes.  Place half of bread cubes in a buttered casserole dish.  In a small bowl combine cinnamon and brown sugar.  Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture on the bread in casserole dish.  Add the remaining bread to the dish.  Top with the remaining cinnamon and sugar.  In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla.  Starting at the sides and working toward the center pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread.  Gently press down on the bread to make sure it all gets some of the egg mixture on it.  Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight (or at least 4 hours).

Heat oven to 350*.  Bake covered for 20 minutes.  Then remove foil and continue baking about 20 minutes until the top turns golden brown.  Serve warm with maple syrup.


I love french toast.  This was definitely a good variation of it.  It hit the spot, and I didn't have to do much work to get it ready this morning.  It would be a great dish to serve if you are hosting a brunch.  
Photobucket

3 comments:

Reccewife said...

mmmm, I LOVE french toast casserole!

Jessica said...

yummy!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm! That casserole looks great! I love homemade bread, it is amazing all the recipes that are our there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...